Overseas Drivers License Conversions

Convert Your Overseas To Aussie Licence

Overseas Driver's Licence - Northern Suburbs Driving School

Need For P’s Driving School has one of the highest driving test pass rates in Melbourne. Get yourself pre-qualified for the driving test before going for your VicRoads driving licence.

Do You Want to Convert your overseas driver’s licence?

We can help you if you are from overseas and intend to stay in Australia longer than 6 months and want to drive in Victoria. Please read this page for more information about how to get your own Victorian Drivers licence.

Driving in Victoria

If you want to drive in Victoria you must have a current and valid driver licence for the type of vehicle you are driving. Furthermore, if your licence is not in English you will need a translation document for your overseas licence. An International Driving Permit is a valid translation document and should be obtained from your home country before arriving in Australia.

Note: Please ensure you have your international Driving Permit: If you do not have a translation document you can be issued with a traffic infringement for unlicensed driving. This may also impact your vehicle insurance so make sure you carry your driver’s licence together with the translation document you obtained from your home country.

We also recommend that you study Victorian and Australian road laws before driving a car. Driving on a road that you are not familiar with can increase the risk of an accident. We recommend you study the local road rules. You can find more information about the road rules here: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/languages.

Quick Contact

Recognised Licences from Overseas Countries

If your licence is from a recognised country then you are allowed to drive on Victorian roads as long as you carry your driver’s licence and a translation document with you.

But there are certain criteria before you can drive in Australia.

1. Your international/overseas driver’s licence needs to be current and valid in your country.

2. You need to get an international driving permit (needs to be in English) from the same country as your licence.

3. You need to familiarise yourself with e road rules and laws before driving. Victorian road rules and laws apply to you too.

4. You can use your international/overseas drivers licence for the first 6 months of living in Australia after that you need to apply for the Victorian driver’s licence.

Driving School Learner Driver


This depends on your age and the number of years you’ve been driving in your country where your licence was issued.

For example:

If you’ve had your overseas licence in your country for more than 3 years and are 22 years or older, then you will get a full driver’s licence.

All other drivers will get a P1 or a P2 licence depending on your age and years of experience since having your overseas driver’s licence.

These rules can change without notice so it is best to check with the following VicRoads website for more information:


There are certain criteria where you can’t get a driver’s licence here in Australia.

You can’t get a Victorian driver’s licence if your overseas licence is:

  • Suspended
  • Cancelled
  • Disqualified
Driving School Students

Which Countries are Recognised in Australia

Below is a list of countries where your licence is recognised and that you won’t need to take the tests, but you will need to make an appointment with VicRoads to change over your licence.

Category 1 Countries That are Recognised Here

– Austria
– Belgium
– Canada
– Croatia
– Denmark
– Finland
– France
– Germany
– Greece
– Guernsey
– Bosnia & Herzegovina
– Ireland
– UK
– Isle of Man (Issued after 1/04/1991)
– Italy
– Japan
– Jersey
– Malta (Issued after 2/01/2004)
– Netherlands (Holland)
– Luxembourg
– Norway
– Portugal
– Singapore
– Spain
– Sweden
– Switzerland

Category 2 Countries That are Recognised Based on Experience

(Recognised based on Experience and are 25 or older)

– Bulgaria
– Czech Republic
– Republic of Cyprus (conditions apply)
– Estonia
– Hong Kong (conditions apply)
– Hungary
– Republic of Korea (South Korea)
– Latvia
– Lithuania
– Poland
– Romania
– Slovakia
– Slovenia
– South Africa
– Taiwan
– Serbia

What do I need to do? My overseas driver licence isn’t listed above.

If your overseas licence isn’t listed in any of the above tables
Your driver experience is recognised but you’re under 25 years old.

Then call us today to help you get your Victorian driver’s licence

You’ll also need to take three tests:

road law knowledge test
hazard perception test
driving test

If you need more information please get in touch with us. Use the contact us or call us on the number below.

Driving School Suburbs Serviced

Call us today and let us help you pass the driving test!